Yesterday Alannah, Kira, Megan, Mel, and I all went to Hempfield High School and presented to the AP Art class. It went very well. Each of us presented one or two pieces of work that we had done. I presented my Bianco e Nero end tag and my Strawberry Shortcake Diet magazine layout, Alannah presented her Steelers end tag, Kira presented her Rejuvinate iPad layout, Megan presented her Lancaster Opera website, and Mel presented the Hairball Harmony video game. The kids especially liked my Strawberry Shortcake layouts and Mel's game. They were very impressed with her sketches and how they translated over into digital form. They also had some very good questions to ask us. One kid was curious about what platform/program was used for the video game. One girl asked us if this was what we knew we wanted to do when we were in high school - none of us did. We all explained that most of us had no idea what we wanted to do in high school and kind of went into Art and Graphic Design blindly but all came out loving it. Then one kid had an GREAT question of what minors did we have and are there any that are good to pair with Graphic Design. I explained to him that I was a Business Minor because I read an article that said if a business had two job applicants and one had a Graphic Design degree with a minor in Business and the other one just had Graphic Design, that they were more likely to pick the one with a business minor because that person is going to know what it takes to run a business. Megan also talked about her Entrepreneur minor. We all had a great time with the kids and I think they really enjoyed us being there. The teacher also kept saying that it was great to have students come and talk instead of just employees of the University because you get a more personal aspect to it. The teacher was also very impressed with Megan's website redo and voiced that he was very interested in having the Hempfield website be a part of that process next time they have that class.

Our visitor's passes.
Setting up for the presentation.
The students viewing my Strawberry Shortcake Diet layouts.
No comments:
Post a Comment